Friday, August 21, 2009

What do you do when your fish sings flat? Tune a fish.

Today was probably one of the best days thus far on the island. Last night was pretty great too... I went with some people from the church I will be going to, to dinner just down the street from my place... and it was soooo good! If you have ever eaten at Melting Pot, it is similar. Only, it isn't fondue, but you do choose your meat and then cook it your self over grills. Before the waiterbrings your uncooked meat, they have an awesome salad bar you can chow down on (which is a meal in itself!) and lots of delicious pineapple! =) It was nice to hang out with a group of people and just enjoy each others company but there really isn't very many my age or what you would call "singles" or "young adults". I talked to my friend who goes to another church here and she said there aren't very many young adults at her church either. I think I'm just in that weird in between age/status and there just aren't very many of us. Bummer. But aside from that, one of the best dinners I've had in a while and conversation to go along with it.
Today, I went hiking through one of these trail not too too far from my place. IT WAS BEAUTIFUL! Bamboo trees everywhere, plants and trees I've never seen before. It was very rainforest like. Bamboo is one of my favorite thing on earth. I just wanted to whack about 3 trees down and make a coffee table. It's the environmentalist in me that wants to cut down trees to make house decor. But while hiking through the trail, we come across this awesome waterfall and natural "pool", essentially. You could slide down the rocks into the "pool" or cliff dive off into it. It was one of the coolest things I have experienced and will be returning sooner than later. I will have to steal Natalie's pictures off facebook because she brought her digital camera. I found a tiny snail that I spent way too much time being interested in and took plenty of picture with him (I assume all snails are boys. Slimeballs.) I finally got to get out of tourist mania and see some of the greatness of this Island. I keep hearing about it, now I finally got to experience VERY little of it. I'm pumped to see what else I will find over the next couple of months.
[ SIDE NOTE:]Natalie was extremely nice and took me grocery shopping because she has a vehicle! THANK YOU! After we got back from shopping, we went to a place called Nico's on Pier 38. They have some of the freshest fish on the island and I was totally diggin my baked Ahi (?)sandwich on panera bread. Yum! I can finally make a decent dinner, and tonight I had chalupas and a Popsicle for desert...which is where the tuna fish joke came from. [END SIDE NOTE]
We also came across this beautiful cemetery (oxymoron?). It's an Asian cemetery with two HUGE temples. We asked the secretary if we could go inside the temple and she said no because it was too dangerous. Hmmm. Like architecture come crumbling down dangerous? Or ghostly dangerous? Or random strangers attacking you dangerous? I obviously didn't ask her those questions, but I am still curious why these temples would be so dangerous. The only reason we even came across "Honolulu memorial park" was because we decided to stop at one of the scenic lookouts on the way home. I asked the secretary what the history was behind the place and she answered "Uhhhhh... I DID have a brochure, I was using it as a fan earlier but now I don't know where I put it. Sorry, I don't know much about this place." ... I think they need a new secretary. My mission for tonight is to google it and find out about such a beautiful place that doesn't get any credit and even the secretary knows nothing about.
I had to step away from blogging for a bit because every Friday night they have fireworks here in Waikiki and I can see them from my balcony right outside my door. It's the best 10 minutes of my Friday nights.
The reason I was able to so many things on a Friday morning/afternoon is because today is Hawaii's birthday! A holiday for students and interns! HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAWAII! 50 years old as a state, and a beautiful one at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment