Monday, August 24, 2009

For the love of cupcakes!



Ok, so first things first... I GOT A TOASTER OVEN! That's right, I can finally bake! OK, so it's not exactly the most high end toaster oven ever, but it works! I made yellow cupcakes with cream cheese frosting =) I was so pumped about baking, I came right home and got to work! First, I had to buy oil, because I didn't have any. And of course a cupcake holder because, well, I didn't have that either. And then I needed those paper thingies to pour the batter into. OK, so I had absolutely NO supplies to bake cupcakes, and I could have just bought some pre-made, BUT THAT WOULD DEFEAT THE WHOLE PURPOSE. The whole purpose wasn't to bake because I wanted a cupcake, the whole purpose was so that I could be actively involved in the baking process. I love it! So my first problem is that my 6 (YES, 6) foil cupcake pan would not fit in my toaster oven. So I had to cut my foil pan into 3 equal parts.




That means that I could bake a max of 4 cupcakes at time. (Not too bad considering I DO live by myself). I do this for about 45 minutes or so and produce about 14 cupcakes before I realize... where the heck am I going to put all these?!? I take a look around and there are a few cupcakes in the kitchen, some by the TV, some on the table. I have very little counter space and now I am consumed with cupcakes! I have learned living here for just a few short weeks that I have to improvise on just about EVERYTHING. So I find a pot and fill it will all my delicious cupcakes and put the lid on it to keep them "fresh".




I didn't use all the batter, so I felt pretty awful about wasting it, but seriously, I have no room to house 24 cupcakes. My fridge can barely hold a 6 pack of Aloha Apple Tea! It was quite an extravaganza, but I'm so proud of myself. I was telling my mom and sister earlier that I could have a reality show about my life here, and it would be a mega hit....quite amusing. I feel like it's good for me to live "simply". Granted, not as simple as some... but I'm making it happen!


I feel like God has put me on this island for a reason. I am developing a relationship with him that has exceeded my expectations. He has really opened my eyes to who I want to be, and who I want to be in Him. I guess it took Him flying me 3000 miles away from all that I know for me to really understand "Be still and know that I am God". Interesting how I thought I was coming here to complete an internship, and hang out at the beach on the side. Yes, He is allowing me to do those things (and so much more!) but there was a bigger plan that that... and I am stoked about it. God blessed my with an opportunity I wanted SO bad, but it is like it was in his plan all along to bring me here and show me something more... I don't know yet, but I pray and have faith that it will be fantastic!


I had such a great day at work today! I kinda had a bum day last Thursday and was pretty down about it, but today was sooooo great! I am really getting into the groove now and was able to take on some of the responsibility today that I hoped for and it's just going to get better. Tucker is the chief pet therapy dog and I am so in love with him. He was at our Hematology/Oncology meeting today and is part if the hospital family. He even has his own ID badge he wears =) Today is just what I needed.


p.s. I had the BEST mango of my life yesterday! As an avid fruit lover I can not say enough about how ridiculously good this thing was. I have a fresh fruit stand down the street from my place and I super tempted to go buy a mango right now. I'm just scared it won't live up to "THE" mango. I love this place.

1 comment:

  1. I love reading about your adventures! Thank you for sharing with us. I miss your sweet smiling face. I know that you are going to develope such a relationship with God while you are there in that beautiful place He created. I can't wait to see where He will be leading you on your journey through this life.
    Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete