Sunday, August 16, 2009

Beavers and Ziggy Marley




Did you know beavers are part of the 3% of mammals that find a mate "til death do us part"? It sounds more like the human population alone to me. I happen to find out a lot about beavers (I knew very little to begin with) after watching "Leave it to the real beavers" on Animal Planet after coming home from the Ziggy Marley concert. If you don't know who Ziggy Marley is, you can check out his website {{ziggymarley.com}} . You should be more familiar with his father... Bob Marley. I normally wouldn't attend a Ziggy Marley concert, nor would I attend with two random guys my age who happen to stop me on the street on my way to have sushi and ask me to tag along... but I'm in Hawaii and I have to meet people somehow! So I agree to go with, seeing as it was only like 3 minutes from the sushi restaurant I was headed to and if need be, I could leave at any time. Turns out, these two just met each other yesterday, have lived here for less than a few months and basically in the same boat as I am...just trying to work, and get by. I don't exactly know how it all happened, but by the time we left, there were about 7 of us sitting in the park listening to the last Ziggy Marley song. I wasn't actually "at" the concert. There were TONS of people in the park listening right outside the walls of the concert. I was told by one of the guys that this is where the poor people go to hear a concert. =) And there were lots of us! I guess meeting people here isn't going to be so hard after all...
We were all headed in the same direction and just so happen to be passing the sushi place I've had my eye on for a few days. We split ways and I go in and order the most delicious Dragon Roll ever!!! Crab mayo filled sushi topped with avocado and eel! I can't get into this habit, because it is an expensive one...but that will not be the last time I stop in for a Dragon Roll.
So... while watching "Leave it to the real beavers" I realize that my love for animals needs to be exercised in some fashion. Coy doesn't allow me to watch Animal Planet (especially Animal Cops) because he says "All it does is make you cry!" I have always wanted to be a foster parent for dogs. You can raise them for a while until they find a permanent home! But have a feeling I would never want to give them up, and then over time become the "dog lady". So I sent an e-mail to the Hawaii Humane Society to sign up for volunteer work! I know I should have a few weekends to dedicate to volunteering, should things work out.
Today was supposed to be my FIRST day of work. I was signed up to work at the Honolulu Zoo for the hospital's 100 year celebration... I am within walking distance to the zoo, so I am all pumped up ready to go! I get to the zoo, only to find out that the celebration isn't until August 30. August 30th?? I was SURE that my supervisor said THIS sunday! Scrambling through my e-mail I find it.... "Can you volunteer Sunday?.......Aug. 30th......" Ooops. I guess I got ahead of myself and completely disregarded the date. Oh well, now I have something to look forward to Aug. 30th. I considered saying and checkin out the zoo, but think I'll wait until I have visitors for that.
I finally went street walking. No, not the street walking you are thinking of. I finally went around the block, up and down streets to take pictures of the area I live. I LOVE my camera to death, but luggin around that thing is no fun. I also worked out for the first time (here in Hawaii, not in life. ha.) but have to pay an extra $10/month because this 24 hour is the only one with a beach view. My initial reaction was "I don't care about a beach view!" but once I got inside, doing squats watching sailboats go by is worth the $10 extra bucks =) The cycling class is actaully outside on a balcony. Some would say having tourists watch you sweat your butt off during a cycling class is not ideal, but I don't know you,I will never see you again and this ocean view is GREAT... so look all you want! =)
So my day of fun filled work at the zoo is no more. Now I have the rest of the day to do what I have been doing everyday...go to the beach! Tomorrw I have orientation and Tuesday start my REAL first day at the hospital. Wish me Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment