Saturday, September 19, 2009

Once in a Lifetime

Perfect Time
"When I grow up, I want to remember that I always wanted to be about a thousand different things & one lifetime didn't seem nearly enough. When I grow up, I hope it's at the very end when it doesn't matter anymore anyway." Brian Andreas

If you happen to be think I'm blogging less frequently than when I first moved to this amazing island...you're right. Not because I don't love sharing the ridiculous, the fun, the amazing, the good, the bad and the ugly (although I must say there hasn't been very much, or any, of that.)of what I am experiencing here, but because my focus these last couple weeks is 80% work 20% social life. I can't exactly blog about my work days, mainly because it's illegal. For the first Friday I am staying home and enjoying baking, reading, laughing... and breathing.

I specifically put that quote up because it sits really close to my heart. I have always said I can't figure out how people have the difficulty of not knowing what they want to do, nothing interests them enough to pursue it. I just so happen to have the same problem of not knowing what I want to do for the rest of my life, but because I want to be a thousand different things, and how can I choose just one? And sometimes I think, I won't be able to pursue it all in this lifetime. It took me a while to figure out that an interest, a love, a skill, doesn't have to evolve into a career but rather can sit backseat as a hobby. So where does that leave me?... With 999 hobbies =) I truly love the profession I am (still) pursuing and think I have the heart to do it, and the education and skill to do it well. So I guess for now, art, fashion, photography, baking, rescuing animals and participating in multiple charity events will have to be hobbies for now. Don't misunderstand me, I haven't settled, I've just genuinely found something I love, and if God allows, let me invest many years doing it happily.

The second part of the quote brings to me to last night. I FINALLY found a girl online who performs live in Honolulu that was classified as "singer/songwriter". PERFECT! Just what I was looking for. What I WASN'T looking for was a pool hall filled with 38 hairy men...and me. Granted, I had a friend with me, but he wasn't feeling it either, so we gave it about an hour...and jetted. I wasn't going to lose this battle! So a little walk down the street led us to where we were going to go in the first place... Jimmy Buffets.



When my mom was with me, we ate a Jimmy Buffets one night and this AMAZING girl was playing. I have yet to figure out who she is and when she plays, even after many calls to the restaurant. We decide to check it out... maybe we would get lucky? We were lucky enough to find live music, just not the particular girl I was looking for. However, when we walked in the band was playing Phil Collins "In the air tonight" with bongos... and I was pretty much sold. Haha. Not singer/songwriter by any stretch of the imagination, but it didn't matter, we were there. To make a long story short,I witnessed a 55+ year old couple dancing swing in the most ridiculous outfits you have ever seen and appeared to have reached a point in their lives where in all honesty, don't care. Now maybe I'm putting a label on someone I know nothing about, but that's not my point. My point is, that it must be nice to live only for the important things in life, and not care about the chaos going on around you. This couple clearly loved to dance, loved each other, loved to be happy, loved to have fun and didn't bat an eye at the 50 people staring at them, the noise of the bar or even the many giggles. I'm so young, I think I have quite a ways before I reach that point. I am so occupied now on EXPERIENCE EXPERIENCE EXPERIENCE, setting goals, reaching goals, starting a career... biting off more than I can chew some would say. I once heard a quote that went something like this "I didn't always know what I wanted to do, but I always knew the woman I wanted to be." Amen sister. I want to be defined by who I am, not what I do. But at this point in my life, pursuing dreams is pretty high on the list.I'm ok with thinking I have so much I want to accomplish and so little time, which even writing I can see the ridiculous in that.It is what it is, I'm consumed with what I want my future to look like. But I hope after all is said and done, one lifetime is more than enough.

Have I mentioned lately how blessed I am? As I sit and write, my eyes tear up and a ball forms in the center of my throat thinking about what God has given me, and how I deserve none of it... but am thankful for ALL of it. I have never had the chance to say to my parents "Thank you for raising me in church." I just don't know who I would be without that. So mom and dad if you are reading...thanks. I could have not been given a better family, group of friends and best friend (who happens to be my boyfriend) to share this with. Sappy enough for you? =)

How about a little sugar? Strawberry cupcakes anyone?





If you think they sound or look good, just imagine how they taste! Too bad I live by myself! I really kinda miss baking/making things for people. I think I'm going to start bringing them to the office for all the honeymooners that come through, courtesy of Lu Lu's bakery. I really need to learn how to ice cupcakes though, there has to be an easier way. It's extremely hard to cook for one...even harder to bake for one. That's how you know God intended us to spend our lives with that special someone...biscuits don't come in anything less than two's.

SIDENOTE: 2 seconds from my place is Planet Hollywood where this sign in placed.
Seriously? Walk on WHAT GRASS??


and Check Out This Website if you want to see the most adorable babies dressed in bunny hats and swaddled in hanging baskets. Click on Newborns...can't beat it.
Tracyraver.com

Goodnight!
Peace. Love. Texas

2 comments:

  1. I've got tears in my eyes reading your thank you to your folks. They are so special and have raised two special daughters. Blessed to have been a part of your lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and your sister wouldn't have been raised anywhere else but in the church. It's the first thing a parent thinks of when you have children. You want to make sure they find God for direction and help in their lives and receive that free gift of eternal life and you can't really rest until they do but when they do the joy is unimaginable and a great peace comes over you.Thank you again and again Lord

    ReplyDelete