Monday, September 14, 2009

Morning Hike, Afternoon Nap

I am patiently waiting for the finale of Design Star, and couldn't think of a better time to blog. I've had a pretty tough week, but a pretty fantastic weekend...you can't win em all. Diamond Head was the plan for this Saturday, as me and Natalie try and brainstorm of things to do during the week and look forward to Saturday adventures =) Unfortunately, my assignments are due on Saturday, so I spend a lot of time working on Saturday evenings. So for the most part, they are Saturday morning adventures. Here is a rundown of the hike...


-walk about a mile up the trail


-take 74 steps to the first tunnel


-pass through a 225ft. tunnel


-take 99 more steps (steep steps I might add)


-pass through a second tunnel


-take a spiral staircase (52 steps) up 3 levels


-take 54 more metal stairs to the summit


It took us about an hour to get up and about 40 minutes to get back down. It wasn't the hardest workout I've ever done, but it's a niiice little challenge. I suggest eating breakfast before and getting more than 5 hours for sleep. Needless to say, I learned that the hard way. Whether or not you think it's a challenge is irrelevant, you can not deny the view once you get up there!


Here is a little bit of the hike up... and the view from the top.

The top.






On the way up.




Just a hikin'.


I didn't need a hike at 9am to be starving at noon, but considering I left without my morning granola bar, I only saw it would be fitting to stuff my face with fresh fish for lunch! I am really going to have a difficult time returning to a city where the fresh fish means driving down Spencer to the Red Lobster (I'm not hating on RL, can't beat the cheese biscuits!) . I have always loved seafood, but I have found a NEW love for fresh pacific fish. So... we made a trip to Uncles! I can not put into words how delicious the Mahi Mahi sandwich was, you will just have to try it for yourself =)


I spent the rest of the day napping and working, after all, that was the initial point of moving to Hawaii...the working, not the napping.
So Sunday rolls around and what a better way to spend it, then at the beach! Me Margaret and Josh went to Waimanalo Beach, which is about 20 minutes outside Waikiki (in Hawaii Kai), and that means....NO TOURISTS! That's right, you can actually lay your towel down! In fact, I was pretty amazed at how little people were there. I'm typically not a big wade in the water fan, I mean, who would be in Galveston?!? Here, the water is warm, the sand is soft, and the waves are so big you can actually PLAY in them! After playing, Margaret and I took a nice little nap on the sand =)


4 months here just doesn't seem long enough now......


I am determined to have a better week this time around, and Banana Nut muffins just might do the trick.


p.s I am seriously missing my Longhorns... my life once revolved around game day and now I have to wake up at 7am and search all of Waikiki just to watch the game on TV. =( They don't give a crap about football in Hawaii. It's a whole new world out here... but I wouldn't change a thing.
Hook em' Horns!!!


1 comment: