Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Big Island

I am beginning a "You know you're in Hawaii when...." list because I am continually finding the culture here is so unique and one of a kind. I am really starting to embrace it though, I want to be an Island girl, but find people don't take me seriously with "Y'all" spewing out of my mouth more often than not. I really want to buy a sarong (wrap dress) to throw on on the weekends. Finding one definitely isn't the problem as they sell them every 50 yards and price isn't the reason why I have yet to buy one either. It boils down to whether or not I can appropriately tie it so I don't find myself standing nakes in the middle of Kalakaua after my wrap has indeed come UNwrapped. I am not only embracing the culture, but really loving it. So as I start my "You know you're in Hawaii when..." list you will begin to see that it is another world out here... I mean, it is the most isolated group of Islands in the whole world!

I went to the Big Island this weekend and it was quite an adventure! To be able to island hop is such a blessing because I don't know if I return to the mainland when I will be able to make it back out here. I have a feeling that Hawaii will stay with me forever... but while I'm here, I might as well hop on over! The adventure started when I had to wake up at 5:30 am only to find out that we had to change flights due to some (we will just use the word "carelessness") confusion on our part. Good news is we got to see the Aloha Parade! So while we are waiting for time to pass, we took a seat on the curb on Ala Moana and munched on some McDonalds breakfast. I of course having the fruit and yogurt parfait. By the way, "we"= Natalie and myself. The Aloha Parade consisted of 18wheeler floats decked in flowers, bands, the royal court, more bands, Men in uniform (my favorite! I am lucky to be living in a military town!), and multiple types of entertainment.






So our trip to the Big Island starts a a little late, but I'm still super pumped about the day. Granted, I was quite nervous about the 43 minute flight over there, but a book and some deep breathing managed to distract me enough. It was technically a 37 minute flight, but who's counting? As soon as we arrive in Kona, we step out of the plane and are welcomed with...fresh air? No walkway? I've always wondered what it would be like to be the president. =)




To make a very long day bearable for readers, I will start by saying that the Big Island is NOTHING like the Island I live on. Full of lava rock, lush mountains and rocky beaches. No buildings, no downtown... no people really. It was quite a shock, but a nice change for the day. We had lunch and went shopping at the farmer's market. I bought this amazing necklace that I am absolutely in love with.

I saw TONS of fruit that was like 1/4 the price it is in Oahu! I'm still very bitter as I tell this story because I didn't ask whether or not you could transfer fruit between islands and found out today you in fact CAN. Had I known that, I would have easily splurged $30 on fruit alone. It actually really ticks me off that fruit around here is so expensive... I'M IN FREAKING HAWAII!!! THE STUFF IS GROWING OUT OUR EARS! Anyways, should I return... I'm going grocery shopping.


Another way to start off a good day is rice pudding wrapped in banana leaves!




We were able to rent a car so we cruised around Kona and found out very quickly they are not known for their beaches. Well, I actually knew this information before we left, but was able to witness it for myself while I was there. The beaches are still beautiful, but they are so rocky! (Hint: the volcano island) They aren't your typical white sands for miles, lay out with an umbrella and pineapple in your drink kind of beaches.



I wanted to take a dip, but the waves were FAIRLY large and pounding all the people who attempted to wade. It was more fun to just watch. That is one thing (of 100) that is so surprising to me, even after seeing it everyday... actual waves!

But drive 15 miles up the mountain and you will witness lush beautiful scenery overwhelmed with flowers. Our intention was to hike up Cook's Monument Hike, but it was closed for whatever reason. So we stopped at a scenic point, where I saw about 237287 black crabs! I will forever consider myself an animal lover, but when there is too much of one particular animal, it really creeps me out. For instance, the other night I am walking with a friend down the street when he saw a mouse. My initial reaction was "awww, cute little mouse!" Then he proceeds to show me two more. My reaction has now turned to "OH MY GOSH IT'S AN INFESTATION!" Needless to say he called me ridiculous and we continued walking. Same for the crab situation. A few crabs... ok. A thousand crabs, NOT ok. I always try to remind myself that I am invading their space, and God never necessarily placed those animals for my liking or disliking. I especially feel that way when people are attacked by sea creatures... YOU are invading THEIR home, hello.

We left and continued our day by going to the Painted Church. It's name says it all. A church with the inside completely embellished in paintings. Not to mention a cemetery right outside. Catholic churches are so beautiful, but sometimes border on creepy. This was definitely one of those churches. It was so interesting, so beautiful... so spooky. Without a thought and out of respect, your voice lowers, your walk is slower and you try not to make any noise when entering churches, particularly catholic churches. I was doing SO good until I walked to the alter and looked up.

**You know you're in Hawaii when Jesus Christ and the Virgin Mary are wearing lei's.** That's right, My Jesus is Hawaiian. =) You can imagine my reaction was none of the "respectful" ones listed above. Oops.



On our way out we were able to see the sunset. Amazing. And head to dinner.



I would have to say the latter part of the day was the best. We at dinner at Bongo Ben's and listened to live music... nothing beats the sound of the ocean, live music and a Teriaki chicken sandwich with bacon and pineapple. Need I say more?? Desert consisted of steamed milk with a shot of caramel at a place called Lava Java. I could foresee myself spending A LOT of time a Lava Java's should I live in Kona. It reminded me a lot of Austin, and you know how I feel about the ATX! =)




At this point, I have been awake for 18 hours with 4 hours sleep and can officially label myself as exhausted, as if you couldn't tell by the last picture. YIKES!

We head back to the "airport", more or less a partially covered area with benches and a set a stairs waiting to approach an incoming airplane. But I can't end it there. Nope. **You know you are in Hawaii when you are riding behind a group of guys sitting in the back of a truck playing a ukulele, jammin out in the rain.** I normally can't go 30 minutes without hearing some kind of hawaiian music. Sometimes I feel as if it is coming out of the sky. God, is that you?? After all... his Son is Hawaiian.

Peace.Love.Kona

No comments:

Post a Comment